Becoming A Small Group Leader In The Concord UMC
Hello, everyone! Welcome to this exciting journey!
When we praise God together and listen to the sermon together, we have this urge to share our responses together. That is the time that we gather around the table and share our thoughts, feelings, and resolutions.
In this journey, the leader around the table is important. He or She will guide everybody in the spiritual formation process. We will learn from each other and apply the principles that we learn from the Bible to our own life situations. Because our life situations are unique, we are the only ones who can actually apply biblical principles to our own lives. Neither the pastors, nor the leaders will make concrete and practical applications for the each members of our church.
So, here are the basic rules for the leaders.
- Leaders do not preach or teach the members.
- Leaders will ask questions that will make the members to think and to come up their own applications.
- Leaders will encourage everybody to participate in the conversation and to find out their own answers to their own life-situations.
- Leaders can show models and examples by sharing their own stories.
- Leaders can pray for others and share their resources with them.
- The ultimate fruit of the group is evangelism.
Why do we do discussions around the table?
- We give opportunities for everybody to examine his or her ________, __________________ and __________.
- We help him or her to find __________ of life, to make a ________ for life, and to find a _________ in ministry.
- We help each other to build up a _______ and ______ life. We want our life ________ enough to focus on the purpose of our life.
What are the main activities around the table? (4W)
- Welcome: We have fellowship together.
- Worship: We worship God together.
- Word: We share our reflections on words together.
- Work: We do our mission and ministry together.
What do we expect from this meeting?
- We expect everybody to have __________ relationship with Jesus as his or her own Lord and Savior. (Confirmation of our faith)
- We expect that this meeting becomes a chance to ________ other people to Jesus. (Evangelism)
Answers: value, view-Point, vision, Purpose, Plan, Partner, Serving, Sharing, simple, personal, bring
To do or not to do, that is the question.
- There are four steps in relationship building. First, you can share ______, then you can share _______, then you can share your __________, then you can share your ____________. Do not try to talk about _______________ until the members are ready.
- Keep ______________________ in the group.
- Do not _________ others to talk.
- There are no _________ ideas.
- Do not talk about other ________ or __________.
- Let everybody ____________________.
- Listen to others with _________ and ________.
- Make sure that everybody should talk about their _____ situation instead of _________ situation.
- Try to lead the discussion into the answers about who ________, _______, and ______________ is.
- Try to find practical ways to _____________ other people and God in their lives.
Answers: facts, feelings, opinions, private life, private life, confidentiality, force, stupid, churches, pastors, participate, respect, love, own, general, God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, appreciate
Basic Questions for the Bible/Sermon Meditation: SPACE In the Bible passages/Sermon that I read/hear
- Sin: Are there sins that I should confess?
- Promise: Are there promises that I should hold on?
- Action: Are there actions that I have to take?
- Commandments: Are there commandments that I should obey?
- Example: Are there examples that I should follow?
Advanced Questions for the Bible/Sermon Meditation: 4E
- What are the examples in my life?
- When did I/we experience them?
- What would be my/our emotion about them?
- What do I/we expect from them?
Leaders’ Guidelines in asking questions
- There is no one ________ answer for all.
- Ask only _____ question at a time.
- Make questions _____________.
- Do not force any _______________ answer.
- Make _________ to participate in dialogue.
- Do not forget the _______________.
- Ask questions that have _______________.
Answers: correct, one, simple, predetermined, everyone, open end
Three types of questions: RIA (Read, Interpret, Apply)
- Questions for the members to ____ the Bible carefully
- Questions for the members to think about the _________ of the words, phrases, and the text.
- Questions for the members to ________ the truth discovered to their own lives and to make decisions for necessary follow up practices.
Example: “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:9)
R1: According to this passage, what are our four titles?
R2: According to this passage, why did God call us?
I1: What does the “royal priesthood” mean?
I2: What are the examples of “darkness” in the passage?
A1: When do you feel that you are a chosen race?
A2: When and where are you comfortable enough to proclaim the mighty act of God who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light? __________________________________________
Answers: read, meaning, apply
When the questions are already there for the sermon
- ________ to others carefully when they answer them.
- Guide the members with _____________ questions.
- In the direction to change values, view-point, and vision according to the Bible (3V)
- Or to find purpose of life, to make plan for life, and to find partners in the life-long faith journey (3P)
- Or to start a serving life, sharing life, and simple life (3S)
- Sometimes share your ______ personal, simple, and practical stories to emphasize the 3VPS.
- Or find stories that focus on 3VPS from the Bible
- Do not give the members your suggestions but wait for them to spell out their _____ decisions. If nobody says any resolutions, trust _____ and leave it to Him.
- When you hear wonderful ideas, support them and ask ______ questions to make them ___________ (5W1H).
- Try to make it a _________ project, not a personal one.
Answers: Listen, additional, own, own, God, more, practical, community